Naturally bleached vegetable oil, shaped by ONE ALL-ROUND MINERAL: BENTONITE
Tonsil: Efficient purification of edible oils based on natural resources
Worldwide about 157 million tons of edible oil are extracted every year from the seeds and fruit of oil-rich plants. Almost all known vegetable oils such as soybean, palm, rapeseed, sunflower, corn and cotton seed oils can be purified, clarified and bleached with our products.
100 years of experience in the edible oil industry
These oils need to be purified to create healthy, nutritional and tasty oils for an ever-growing world population. Produce healthy, tasty and affordable edible oils for a growing world population with Tonsil®. Clariant is the world leader in the purification of edible oils. Bleaching earths have been used in the refinement of edible oils and fats since the end of the 19th century, while our TONSIL® bleaching earths have been used for this purpose for about 100 years. Even today, this application is still one of the most important areas of use for bleaching earths.
Edible oils - pure from contaminants and with a high nutritional value with TONSIL® Bleaching Earths
"Feasting the eyes" is a well-known expression. With the adsorbents and additives - the Tonsil range - made by Clariant many culinary feasts will be conceivable. Golden yellow edible oils are possible because of the ability of TONSIL to bind undesirable contaminants and suspended substances.
The TONSIL-Product range ...
- Improves shelf-life and taste
- Preserves nutrients
- Sustainable material based on natural resources
- Highly active – removes impurities: like gums, colorants, peroxides, metal ions, and free fatty acids economically efficiently
- Minimal waste produced throughout the entire process
- Food safety regulations in all processes and products will be complied
- Only supplier with global presence
- Fully integrated from exploration through mining
- Best in class application development
Safety and MSDS
We comply with all regional and local regulatory requirements - please contact your local sales representative for specific information.
Refining of all vegetable oils & edible oils for human consumption - global presence
- Cotton Seed
- Tonsil® bleaching earths are derived from the natural clay mineral bentonite.
- Large deposits are for example present in the Moosburg area of Bavaria, Germany.
- The mineral has been surface mined here since 1906.
- Tonsil® bleaching earths are the gold standard in edible oil refining.
- Tonsil® grades are produced from selected bentonite qualities by acid activation.
- This process vastly increases the accessible surface area of the mineral and creates adsorptive and catalytic sites to specifically tackle oil impurities.
- Clariant constantly develops and improves Tonsil® grades which are tailored to selectively remove undesired contaminants from edible oils of various origins like sunflower, rapeseed, soybeans, palm etc.