Emulsion-type metalworking fluids (semi-synthetic metalworking fluids and soluble oils)
Emulsion-type metalworking fluids (MWFs) mostly contain mineral or vegetable-based oil which is emulsified with the aid of different types of non-ionic and anionic emulsifiers.
Emulsion-type MWFs are still the main type of water-miscible fluids used, because they offer excellent lubricity and cooling, making it possible to machine most metals even in heavier and more difficult operations.
Formulators are facing some challenges when dealing with such systems, but Clariant can support them. In fact, the existing portfolio of additives offers the following benefits:
- Low foaming behavior (especially with the Emulsogen MTP range)
- Ability to formulate hard water stable fluids i.e. lime soap dispersants (in particular with the Emulsogen COL range)
- Corrosion protection (for steel: Hostacor I chemistry, and aluminum: Hostacor ITD)
- Lubrication under harsh conditions (Hordaphos 145 and Hostagliss types)
Fully synthetic metal working fluids
Fully synthetic MWFs are typically true solutions that contain no oil or emulsifiers. In the case of fully synthetic metalworking fluids, lubricity is provided by water soluble – mostly polyalkylene glycol-based – lubricants.
In terms of performance, the fully synthetic MWFs can have certain limits when compared with the emulsion-type fluids. However, thanks to the fact that they do not contain emulsifiers or mineral oil, they generate various other additional benefits:
- Comparably easy to formulate
- Lower complexity (fewer components required)
- Advanced tramp oil rejection
- Typical low foaming behavior
- Increased bio-resistance (may require less biocide)
- Better visibility of operationsIn recent years, the use of high lubricity fully synthetic fluids for aluminum machining has increased, and this is why performance additives are more frequently requested for this purpose.The broad Clariant product portfolio for fully synthetic MWFs includes corrosion inhibitors, EP/AW additives, lubricity improvers and amines (such as Genamin CH 020).You can access these main product categories below.