Improving the performance of plastic products
CESA® additive masterbatches from Clariant offer remarkable opportunities to improve the performance of plastic products. They can prevent degradation due to heat and shear during processing as well as UV light and oxidation in the end-use environment. They can limit flammability to comply with key regulations and they can reduce product weight and resin consumption, prevent the build-up of static electricity, or make plastic surfaces easier to print or laser etch. Available in pellet, granule or liquid form, as single-function masterbatches or custom-made combibatches, CESA additive masterbatches are also easy to handle and easy to store. Very recently, many functionalities were also developed as masterbatches for the medical and pharmaceutical industry under the MEVOPUR® brand.
HYDROCEROL®: Chemical foaming & nucleating agents
With HYDROCEROL® chemical foaming and nucleating agents, Clariant customers enjoy the benefits of weight reduction, raw material savings, improved thermal and acoustic insulation, increased wall stiffness and enhance surface textures. Warpage and sink marks are minimized as well. HYDROCEROL CFAs have been used successfully in packaging and consumer goods, as well as specialty applications like automotive, to reduce product weight and resin consumption.
CESA®-light: UV & Light Stabilizers
Light radiation and oxygen in the air trigger decomposition processes in plastics, causing discoloration, embrittlement and eventual degradation of mechanical properties. Choose CESA-light stabilizers for agricultural films, construction materials, lawn and garden equipment and many other products used outdoors or under fluorescent light and filtered daylight indoors, e.g. in visible areas where discoloration over time is not desired.
Static charges that build up on the surface of plastic products attract dust and dirt, cause sheet and film to cling and stacked products to stick together. A sudden discharge of static can damage products like computer chips or even cause a fire or explosion in hazardous areas. CESA-stat anti-static agents help avoid these problems, while also improving processability and mold release.
CESA®-flam: Flame Retardants
Flame retardant additives can make plastics safer by making them more difficult to ignite and by controlling their burning behavior. Widely used in transportation, construction, appliance and electronics applications, CESA-flam additive masterbatches help manufacturers meet UL and other regulatory requirements by minimizing flame propagation, smoke and heat generation.
CESA®-slip & CESA®-block: Lubricants & Antiblocking Agents
Lubricants and antiblocking agents modify the flow and surface characteristics of polymers to eliminate problems during and after processing. CESA-slip lubricants ease the flow characteristics of plastics during processing and reduce the frictional resistance of end product surfaces, enhancing both appearance and function. CESA-block antiblocking additives slightly modify polymer surfaces, reducing the coefficient of friction to prevent self-adhesion of plastic film or sheet so that it becomes easier to handle.
Oxidation and heat aging in plastics frequently cause a chain reaction that forms free radicals, breaks up the long polymer chains and degrades the appearance and performance of the plastic. At every stage of the plastic life cycle, from manufacturing through processing and end use, CESA-nox antioxidant masterbatches help maintain shine and transparency, and prevent yellowing, surface cracking and odors. They can also help preserve critical mechanical properties such as impact resistance, elongation and tensile strength.
CESA-antimicro masterbatches include antimicrobial additives which can extend antimicrobial options for plastic products. Typical applications for antimicrobial masterbatches include fibers and textiles used in athletic gear and household furnishings, kitchenware and bathroom products, automotive steering wheels and interior parts, and a broad range of other plastic applications requiring a high standard of hygiene. Clariant has a long-established collaboration with Sanitized AG, a Swiss company offering antimicrobial additives.
Processors of scrap, recycled, or reclaimed condensation polymers like PET polyester, often struggle to manage the effects of material degradation caused by exposure to moisture, solvents or heat. Such degradation results in a loss of processability, molecular weight and important material properties, so these materials have difficulty finding application in high-value products. When added during processing, CESA-extend can actually re-link polymer chains that have broken due to degradation, restoring critical properties and making it easier to use recycled materials. CESA-extend also can improve the processing characteristics of biopolymers like polylactic acid (PLA) so that these renewable materials can find broader application.
CESA®-laser: Laser Marking
Laser marking utilizes the energy of a highly focused laser beam to produce a combined thermal and photochemical effect. PVC, polyolefins and other polymers that are highly sensitive to laser radiation require special additives to make laser marking viable. CESA-laser masterbatches provide an effective solution for permanent and individualized marking. They also extend the limits of the technology by making it possible to mark in colors beyond traditional gray tones.
Other Additive Masterbatches
Clariant Masterbatches supplies many other additive concentrates to meet your special needs. These include:
- CESA-absorb oxygen scavengers and oxygen barriers for polyolefins and polyesters to improve shelf-life of oxygen-sensitive products.
- CESA-absorb acetaldehyde scavengers that reduce significantly the acetaldehyde content in polyesters. Typical applications include packaged water in PET bottles.
- CESA-bright optical brighteners convert UV radiation into visible, bluish light to improve the surface whiteness of plastics used in molded or extruded products and fibers.
- CESA-clean concentrates combine surface active ingredients and mild abrasive fillers help remove thermo-oxidized deposits from processing machines to facilitate color and material changes.
- CESA-conductive compounds and masterbatches improve electrical conductivity in plastic packaging to prevent static discharge that can damage sensitive electronic components.
- CESA-cor corrosion inhibitors used to protect ferrous and most non-ferrous metals from corrosive deterioration. Typical applications include packaging for metal components.
- CESA-dry desiccant concentrates minimize the need to pre-dry hygroscopic resins. Used in packaging, they protect metal components from oxidation.
- CESA-grip anti-slip agents that create a rough surface on thick films (>80 to 100 microns for heavy-duty plastic bags and similar applications.
- CESA-IR masterbatches are used in agricultural and other thermal films to allow short-wave infra-red solar heating while preventing the cooling effect of longer-wave emissions.
- CESA-lux phosphorescent masterbatches make it possible to produce glow-in-the-dark articles.
- CESA-mat masterbatches are added to polymers to modify surface properties to reduce gloss and develop a matte or frost-like effect in PET polyester sheet and bottles, polyolefin films and other products.
- CESA-mix can improve homogeneity when otherwise incompatible resin chemistries, fillers and reinforcing materials need to be blended.
- CESA-process processing aids are used in extrusion to coat inner die surfaces to reduce friction and prevent melt fracture and die build-up when extruding LLDPE and other difficult-to-process films.
- CESA-release masterbatches are used in injection molding prevent parts from sticking in the mold cavity. They can also help reduce cycle times and increase productivity.
- And many others (available on request)
Download our Brochures to Learn More