Circularity can only be reached
WITH THE COLLABORATION OF ALL VALUE CHAIN PLAYERSPlastic is showing some real advantages in application, which we enjoy every day. However, we are constantly facing the consequences of improperly handled plastic waste, which is polluting our environment across the globe. It is therefore necessary to act now to dramatically reduce plastic waste and to start seeing it as a raw material source for new products.
With circularity being one of the central elements of our sustainability strategy and our focus on innovation, we want to support the transition by offering solutions for mechanical recycling, dissolution and depolymerization processes as well as chemical recycling technologies.
We are convinced that collaboration of industry partners across the value chain is key, to implement and establish innovative, circular solutions fast.
Clariant wants to be the premier chemical solution provider for a circular plastic economy, connecting industry partners to close the loop.
- Clariant actively supports the vision of a more circular economy, where the value of products, materials and resources is maintained in the economy for as long as possible, and the generation of waste is minimized.
- At Clariant we believe that plastic waste does not belong in our oceans, rivers, or anywhere in the environment.
- Moving toward a more sustainable plastics sector is critical to the industry’s success and we are convinced that innovative chemistry holds the key.
- We are ready to accompany the transition to more circularity and support policy-makers’ targets and customers’ sustainability ambitions
Sustainability is a key strategic pillar of our company. Becoming a premier chemical solutions provider for a circular plastics industry, we have set ourselves ambitious targets.
Our strategy is based on design4circularity, comprising to support the reduction of plastic waste, enabling the re-use of plastic and offering solutions for recycling.
We focus on the development of
- Product solutions to foster the reduction of plastic waste through development of innovative formats in home care and personal care, to reduce plastic packaging.
- Additive solutions to enable the reduction and reuse of plastic without quality loss, supporting targets of reduced fossil based polymer usage
- Additives to enable and improve the mechanical recycling of plastic e.g. supporting 100% recyclability of packaging
- Processing aids to support chemical recycling e.g. by enhancing the quality of pyrolysis oil through purification or stabilization.
Engagement with Stakeholders
Collaboration with partners from across the value chain is a key element of Clariant’s EcoCircle. We are engaged in several cross-industry initiatives and associations, e.g. Clariant is one of the founding members of the Alliance to End Plastic Waste (AEPW).
The target of this non-profit organization is to develop solutions that will minimize plastic waste in the environment through innovation, education, clean up and infrastructure.
Supporting the transformation towards a Circular Economy in Germany, Clariant is also engaged in the Circular Economy Initiative Deutschland (CEID), which brings together economic, scientific and societal stakeholders, the Circular Plastics Alliance, an initiative started by the European Commission in order to boost the EU market for recycled plastics, and the Polyolefins Circular Economy Platform (PCEP). In 2019, Clariant additionally teamed up with the Plastic Bank.
To highlight the importance of collaboration for a Circular Plastic Economy, Clariant also joins the respective Factor 10 project at World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD).