Exolit® RP 6520
Thixotropic dispersion of red phosphorus in castor oil
Edition Date :
July 14, 2022
Exolit RP 6520, is a brown-red paste, and is a thixotropic blend of castor oil with stabilized, microencapsulated red phosphorus. The paste form allows safe and simple handling and thus processing is made easier. The thixotropic nature of this concentrate hinders the sedimentation process and simplifies the re-homogenization after long storage periods.
- A blend of castor oil with stabilized, microencapsulated red phosphorus. The castor oil carrier is compatible with a wide range of polyols
- Safe and simple handling due to its paste form, making processing easier
- The thixotropic nature hinders the sedimentation process and simplifies rehomogenisation after long storage periods
- Developed as a flame retardant for polyurethanes
- Very effective flame retardant due to its high phosphorus content
- Non-halogenated flame retardant with favorable environmental and health profile
- In combination with aluminum hydroxide, a UL 94 classification in polyurethane casting resins can be achieved with low amounts of fillers
SafetyFor regulatory details such as the classification and labelling as dangerous substances or goods please refer to our corresponding Material Safety Data Sheet.
As stated in the safety data sheet of the substance the use “industrial manufacture of screening smoke ammunition or smoke payloads” is advised against within the EU according to the REACH regulation. Therefore, every manufacturer of smoke ammunition or smoke payloads is obliged to create a chemical safety assessment for these uses and to inform the ECHA accordingly.
|Category of danger/Category||Hazard symbol||R-phrases|
|Explosive when mixed with oxidizing substances|
|May cause sensitization by skin contact.|
|Harmful to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment|
|Characteristics||Unit||Target Value||DS¹)||TD²)||Test Method|
|Appearance||Red brown paste|
|Phosphorus||%(m/m)||43.0 - 48.0|
|Gravimetry after oxidizing dissolution; (11/16)|
|Density||g/cm³||1.27 - 1.47|
|at 25 °C|
|Brookfield viscosimeter, 25 °C; (11/30)|
|Hydroxyl Number||mg KOH/g||approx. 80|
|¹) Delivery specification: The product is constantly monitored to ensure that it adheres to the specified values. Test methods: Clariant method numbers 11/xx in brackets.|
²) Technical data: The technical data are used solely to describe the product and are not subject to regular monitoring.
ApplicationsExolit RP 6520 has been developed as flame retardant for polyurethanes used in electrical applications. Due to its high phosphorus content the product is a very effective flame retardant. The castor oil carrier is compatible with a wide range of polyols.
In combination with aluminum hydroxide, Exolit RP 6520 can achieve a UL 94 classification in polyurethane casting resins with low amounts of fillers.
Packaging and HandlingDelivery form
Exolit RP 6520 is supplied in the following packaging:
1 kg sample bottles
50 kg net plastic drums
200 kg net steel drums
Minimum shelf life is 12 months from the date of shipping when stored according to the said conditions.