Exolit® RP 6520
Thixotropic dispersion of red phosphorus in castor oil
- Edition Date :
- July 25, 2013
- A blend of castor oil with stabilised, microencapsulated red phosphorus. The castor oil carrier is compatible with a wide range of polyols
- Safe and simple handling due to its paste form, making processing easier
- The thixotropic nature hinders the sedimentation process and simplifies rehomogenisation after long storage periods
- Developed as a flame retardant for polyurethanes
- Very effective flame retardant due to its high phosphorus content
- Non-halogenated flame retardant with favorable environmental and health profile
- In combination with aluminium hydroxide, a UL 94 classification in polyurethane casting resins can be achieved with low amounts of fillers
Safety and MSDSFor regulatory details such as the classification and labelling as dangerous substances or goods please refer to our corresponding Material Safety Data Sheet.
As stated in the safety data sheet of the substance the use “industrial manufacture of screening smoke ammunition or smoke payloads” is advised against within the EU according to the REACH regulation. Therefore, every manufacturer of smoke ammunition or smoke payloads is obliged to create a chemical safety assessment for these uses and to inform the ECHA accordingly.
Category of danger/Category Hazard symbol R-phrases Explosive when mixed with oxidizing substances May cause sensitization by skin contact. Harmful to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment
Please contact us for safety and regulatory details or the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).
Characteristics Unit Target Value DS¹) TD²) Test Method Phosphorus %(m/m) 43.0 - 48.0
Gravimetry after oxidizing dissolution; (11/16) Density g/cm³ 1.27 - 1.47
at 25 °C Viscosity mPa*s max. 50.000
Brookfield viscosimeter, 25 °C; (11/30) Hydroxyl Number mg KOH/g approx. 80
¹) Delivery specification: The product is constantly monitored to ensure that it adheres to the specified values. Test methods: Clariant method numbers 11/xx in brackets.
²) Technical data: The technical data are used solely to describe the product and are not subject to regular monitoring.
ApplicationsExolit RP 6520 has been developed as flame retardant for polyurethanes used in electrical applications. Due to its high phosphorus content the product is a very effective flame retardant. The castor oil carrier is compatible with a wide range of polyols.
In combination with aluminium hydroxide, Exolit RP 6520 can achieve a UL 94 classification in polyurethane casting resins with low amounts of fillers.
Packaging and HandlingDelivery form
Exolit RP 6520 is supplied in the following packaging:
1 kg sample bottles
50 kg net plastic drums
200 kg net steel drums
Minimum shelf life is 12 months from the date of shipping when stored according to the said conditions.