Dispersogen SP Plus
2-in-1 additive for biocide-free paints
Dispersogen SP Plus is a low viscous, anionic additive for organosilicate paints which contain up to 10% water glass (28% active potassium silicate). It acts both as stabilizer and dispersant in such systems, improving the viscosity profile of the formulation and thereby helps to achieve application properties comparable to those of dispersion paints. The recommended dosage is 0.3 – 0.5% in the paint formulation.
Dispersogen SP Plus is VOC/SVOC-free, hazard-label-free and APEO-free; thus the ideal ingredient for biocide-free paints with ecolabel certification.
Biocide-free paints are often called “breathable paints” thanks to their favorable vapor permeability and ability to create a healthy indoor climate. In addition, they are less allergenic as they do not contain preservatives such as isothiazolinones.
The main disadvantage of biocide-free paints is that they are difficult to formulate and apply using standard roller or brush methods due to their rheological behavior; the viscosity of the paint decreases as stress is applied, meaning the paint is thixotropic.
With the Dispersogen SP Plus you can overcome these challenges: the additive works both as a stabilizer and dispersant in your biocide-free paint formulations, and achieves application properties comparable to those of high PVC dispersion paints.
The additive's performance benefits:
- lowers the yield point of the paint formulation and thereby contributes to a more fluid paint appearance
- achieves good leveling and surface performance
- improves the paint's thixotropic profile. Thus, less efforts are required to homogenize the paint formulation.
- extends paints shelf life due to low impact on viscosity and pH during storage
- reduces formulation complexity due to its multifunctional profile (stabilizer & dispersant)
- increases formulation options as the paints rheology profile can be further adjusted post-production by using additional rheology additives
The additive's sustainability benefits:
- VOC-free (ISO 11890-2)
- SVOC-free (ISO 16000-9)
- Hazard label free
- Free of alkylphenol ethoxylates
- Suitable for ecolabels such as European Ecoflower, German Blue Angel or Scandinavian Nordic Swan.
- Waterborne paints
- Solventborne paints
- Decorative paints
|Composition:||Polymer solution in water|
|Active content:||48.0% - 52.0%|
|pH value:||approx. 10-11|
|Iodine color number:||max. 4|
|Density at 25°C:||approx. 1.12 g/cm3|
|Viscosity:||2000 - 3000 mPa/s|
|Mode of dosage:||Dispersogen SP Plus is added to the formulation in the premixing phase|
ApplicationsDispersogen SP Plus is a polymeric additive that acts as stabilizer and dispersant in organosilicate paint systems.
February 28, 2019Clariant, a focused and innovative specialty chemical company, today announced unique new ways for home interior and outdoor paints and coatings to make a positive contribution to a balanced, sustainable way of living.more