DESVOCANT™ VOC ADSORBENTS
DESVOCANT™ helps to control and eliminate the accumulation of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) due to the off-gassing of products enclosed in packaging to fully-loaded shipping containers. It also helps to minimize the unpleasant odors associated with VOCs. Made from a naturally-occurring, bentonite clay mineral with a unique structure that is non-toxic.
- Helps reduce the need for container ventilation due to unacceptable VOC accumulation from products off-gassing during shipping
- Helps reduce additional handling or "airing out" of products due to odors such as a "chemical or new smell"
- Improves product acceptance by helping reduce customer rejects and returns due to lingering odors associated with VOCs
- Packets are non-dusting, making them ideal for use with light-colored goods
- Also adsorbs odorless VOCs
- Non-toxic, safe & easy to handle
- Dispose of with normal industrial waste
- Variety of configurations and blends
- Variety of applications for packaged products to container shipments of carpets, foam pillows, mattresses, textiles, apparel: shoes, handbags, accessories
- Safe & easy to handle
- Dispose of with normal industrial waste
- No SVHC (substances of very high concern)
Our commitment to ecological sustainability is clear: Clariant will restore and re-cultivate all bentonite mining areas to an equal or better state than when our operations began. To learn more about our re-cultivation efforts visit Re-Cultivation GIVING BACK TO NATURE
VOC adsorbents like DESVOCANT are important to use because VOCs can accumulate any time that manufactured goods are stored in enclosed areas, which include everything from individual product packages (e.g., a box containing a pair of shoes, or handbag), to a large shipping container loaded with goods such as new foam mattresses, furniture, carpeting, toys, or textiles. When packages or enclosed areas are opened for product inspection or unloading, the sudden release of accumulated VOCs can, if inhaled, pose serious health risks to people. Harmful VOC accumulations can be very difficult to detect because some VOCs are odorless.
Example of VOCs adsorbed by DESVOCANT:
- aromatic compounds: benzene, toluene, xylene
- aldehydes and ketones: formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, ethylbutylketone, acetophenone
- halogenated hydrocarbons: 1,2-dichloroethane, carbon tetrachloride, chlorobenzene,
- Alcohols: methanol, ethylalcohol, isopropyl alcohol
- Others: esters/ethers, nitrogen compounds, Sulphur compounds
Shippers who rely on timely inspection, acceptance, and unloading of containerized cargoes know that if their shipments contain high VOC concentrations, increased inspection costs and delays can be expected. Because high VOC levels pose inhalation concerns, cargo inspection and unloading personnel may decide to
1) test the safety of the air in containers using gas detection equipment,
2) utilize respirators to enter containers, or
3) open and ventilate containers, risking weather damage, loss, or theft of contents for up to several days until the VOC threat is eliminated and workers can safely enter.
The proper use of VOC adsorbents like DESVOCANT can help to eliminate these hazards and delays.
DESVOCANT VOC adsorbents are available in a variety of sizes and are packaged using materials that allow air to permeate freely. Air flowing through the package material comes into contact with the complex, unique, layered structure of the clay granules, which attract and bind VOCs through adsorption. This natural process removes VOCs from the air, trapping them within the adsorbent package.
The size and number of DESVOCANT packages required for VOC adsorption will vary depending on the characteristics of the application, including, i.e.:
- Nature of product
- Moisture content
- Amount and type of VOC-emitting materials in each product
- Internal volume of product package
- Number of product packages in shipping container
- Internal volume of shipping container
- Expected duration of product storage or shipment
DESVOCANT adsorbents can also be blended and packaged with other materials to meet a variety of cargo-protection requirements. Experts from Clariant Cargo & Device Protection work closely with customers to evaluate each application and recommend the correct product solution and dosage.