Exolit® OP 550
Highly effective reactive, non-halogenated phosphorus polyol
- Non-halogenated flame retardants with favorable environmental and health profile
- Reactive flame retardant for low-VOC applications, allows meeting demanding emission standards like Fogging or VDA 278
- Low migration from the polymer matrix due to chemical incorporation prevents fading of the flame-retardant performance
- High phosphorus content allows superior flame-retardant efficiency at low dosages
- Medium viscosity liquid for easy processing
SafetyFor regulatory details such as the classification and labelling as dangerous substances or goods please refer to our corresponding Material Safety Data Sheet.
|Characteristics||Unit||Target value||DS¹)||TD²)||Test method|
|Phosphorus||%(w/w)||16.0 - 18.0|
|Photometry after oxidizing dissolution; (11/17)|
|at 25 °C|
|Brookfield viscosimeter, 25 °C; (11/30)|
|Color Number (Hazen, APHA)||Hazen||max. 600|
|Acid Number||mg KOH/g||max. 2|
|Titration using alkali; (11/11)|
|Hydroxyl Number||mg KOH/g||max. 170|
|Double Karl-Fischer-titration; (11/14)|
|¹) Delivery specification: The product is monitored on a regular basis to ensure that it adheres to the specified values. Test methods: Clariant method numbers 11/xx in brackets.|
²) Technical data: The technical data are used solely to describe the product and are not subject to regular monitoring.
- Exolit OP 550 is primarily suited for flame-retarded flexible PU foams, including both polyether- and polyester polyol-based materials.
- Typical application examples include production of automotive slabstock and molded foam. FMVSS 302 class SE foams can be achieved with dosages of 2-8 php, depending on the density.
- Exolit OP 550 can replace scrutinized volatile flame retardants including TCPP.
- Application in other PU material types like integral skin foam, coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers is also possible.
- The use of an anti-scorching agent is recommended when processing Exolit OP 550 in low-density foams, e.g. products like Irgastab® PUR 70 from BASF SE.
- Exolit OP 550 is particularly suitable for self-formulating PU producers. Long-term storage in water-containing PU systems is not recommended.
- Guide formulations for standard applications are
available on request.
Packaging and HandlingDelivery form
Exolit OP 550 is supplied in following packaging units:
1 kg sample bottles
50 kg PE open head drums (9 drums per pallet)
1.000 kg net in non-returnable 1.000 liter semi bulk containers
In the presence of moisture or water Exolit OP 550 hydrolyses slowly and should therefore be stored and handled in such a way to exclude any potential sources of moisture.
Minimum shelf life is 12 months from the date of shipping when stored according to the said conditions.