Exolit® OP 560
Highly effective reactive, non-halogenated phosphorus polyol
Clariant’s Exolit OP 560 is a flame retardant specifically designed for flexible polyurethane foams. As a reactive flame retardant, it can be chemically reacted into the PU matrix, preventing unwanted migration from the material. Therefore, Exolit OP 560 allows meeting the most stringent VOC requirements of the automotive industry and has shown best-in-class performance in demanding low-emission applications. Exolit OP 560 is an easily-to-handle low-viscosity liquid, with a functionality of approx. 2.
Exolit OP 560 has been confirmed as »an alternative
anticipated to be safer for use in upholstered polyurethane foam« by the United
States Environmental Protection Agency (U. S. EPA, August 2015, EPA
- Non-halogenated flame retardants with favorable environmental and health profile
- Reactive flame retardant for demanding low-VOC applications, allows meeting most stringent emission standards like Fogging or VDA 278
- Extremely low VOC- and Fogging-emissions in flexible PU foams
- Low migration from the polymer matrix due to chemical incorporation prevents fading of the flame-retardant performance
- Excellent flame-retardancy at low dosages
- Low viscosity liquid for easy processing
SafetyFor regulatory details such as the classification and labelling as dangerous substances or goods please refer to our corresponding Material Safety Data Sheet.
|Characteristics||Unit||Target value||DS¹)||TD²)||Test method|
|Phosphorus||%(w/w)||10 - 13|
|Photometry after oxidizing dissolution; (11/17)|
|at 25 °C|
25 °C; (11/30)
|Color Number (Hazen, APHA)||-||max. 800|
|Acid Number||mg KOH/g||max. 2|
|Titration using alkali; (11/11)|
|Hydroxyl Number||mg KOH/g||400 - 500|
|Double Karl-Fischer-titration; (11/14)|
|¹) Delivery specification: The product is monitored on a regular basis to ensure that it adheres to the specified values. Test methods: Clariant method numbers 11/xx in brackets.|
²) Technical data: The technical data are used solely to describe the product and are not subject to regular monitoring.
- Exolit OP 560 is primarily suited for flame-retarded flexible PU foams, including both polyether- and polyester polyol-based materials.
- Typical application examples include production of automotive slabstock and molded foam. FMVSS 302 class SE foams can be achieved with dosages of 2-8 php, depending on the density. Due to high efficiency, lower phosphorus content compared to other FRs does not need to be compensated with higher dosages.
- Particularly suitable for end-applications with most stringent emission requirements, e.g. children car seats.
- Exolit OP 560 can replace scrutinized volatile flame retardants including TCPP.
- Application in other PU material types like integral skin foam, coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers is also possible.
- Exolit OP 560 is particularly suitable for self-formulating PU producers. Long-term storage in water-containing PU systems is not recommended.
- Guide formulations for standard applications are available on request.
Packaging and Handling
Exolit OP 560 is supplied in following packaging units:
1 kg sample bottle
60 kg net drums (540 kg net pallets)
1,000 kg net non-returnable IBC
In the presence of water Exolit OP 560 hydrolyses slowly and should therefore be stored and handled with exclusion of moisture. Minimum shelf life is 12 months from the date of shipping when stored according to the said conditions.