Silica Gel and Desi Pak® Bentonite Clay Moisture Adsorbing Bags
Our bentonite and silica gel desiccant bags are highly active desiccants packaged in porous materials that allow them to effectively adsorb, sometimes commonly referred to as "absorb," moisture inside packaging or storage containers helping protect packaged goods from moisture damage.
- Desiccant bags effectively adsorb moisture in product packaging to combat its damaging effects, including corrosion, mold, and degradation.
- Desiccant bags meet Mil-D-3464E (Mil-Spec) Types I, II, and III, as well as comply with JEDEC for semiconductor packaging (dry pack, dry packing).
- Desiccant bags meet various global specifications: German DIN 55473 and TL 6850-0008, French specification AFNOR NF H 00321, and MIL-D3464E (Mil-Spec).
- Clariant offers desiccant bags that meet relevant U.S. FDA specification for use in food and drug.
- Desiccant bags are a simple, dependable, and economical solution for preventing moisture damage in enclosed packages.
- Available in a variety of fills including Desi Pak® bentonite clay, a natural, sustainable desiccant solution, and Sorb-It® silica gel desiccant.
Please contact us for safety and regulatory details or the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).
Call or connect with us
Join us on:
Why do I need a desiccant bag?
Moisture can quickly affect the value or even destroy many types of valuable goods, causing rust, corrosion, mildew, mold and device malfunction. By sealing goods inside packaging with the appropriate desiccant, goods can be protected from moisture and maintain long shelf lives.
The desiccant reduces the humidity inside a sealed package as soon as they are placed inside.
The absorption capacity is dependent on the relative humidity (r.h.) of the surrounding air.
Placed within a sealed package or container, desiccant bags will protect any number of products, including:
- aircraft storage
- laid-up ships (lay-up vessels)
- stacked rigs (mothballing)
- automobile parts
- electronic components (example: surface mount devices, integrated circuits, circuit boards, capacitors, and resistors) used in dry pak per JEDEC J-STD-033
- packaged foods - cartons, cans, boxes
- medical devices
- military goods
- 3D Printing Filament
Desiccant bags are available in a variety configurations. Standard bag sizes range from 1/6 unit to 80 units (5½ grams to 2,640 grams).
One Unit of desiccant is equal to 26 grams of silica gel or 33 grams of bentonite.
- Standard Heat Sealed Bags: Clariant offers one of the most comprehensive lines of quality heat-sealed desiccant bags.
- String-sewn Bags: Tie bags include bags made with a sewn string or non-woven strap, ideal for protecting large items from rust, corrosion or other moisture damage. They can be hung on large equipment for transport or storage.
- Kraft Bags: Needed for some applications, Clariant offers a full line of desiccant bags packaged in Kraft (Crepe) material.
- Netted Bags: Clariant offers netted desiccant bags to protect powdered products, bulk solids, metals, and foods. Covered with a red, food-grade netting, the bags can be dropped directly into powdered products and are easily identified and discarded once the product is ready to be used.
- Speciality Bags: Clariant provides packaging services for customized desiccant bags incorporating humidity indication and special adsorption qualities.
Clariant offers desiccant bags that meet many of industry’s most rigorous specifications, including military specification Mil-D-3464E (Mil Spec). Mil Spec bags are classified as Type I (general use), Type II (non-dusting) and Type III (durability). Clariant’s Desi Pak® and Sorb-It® bags are available to meet Type I requirements, and specific Tie-Bags are available to meet Type III specifications. Clariant’s Desiccant Bags also meet Method II Packaging Standards, as described in Mil-P-116-E, which covers the basic requirements of military packaging methods of preparation. Designated Mil-Spec bags are rechargeable using bag-specific instructions printed on each bag.
Desiccant bags comply with the most significant industry specifications including:
- Mil-Spec: Clariant is listed on the Qualified Products List (QPL) as complying with the Mil-D-3464E as tested and qualified by the
U.S. Department of the Navy.
- DIN / AFNOR: Clariant’s desiccant bags comply with German DIN 55473 and TL 6850-0008 French specification
AFNOR NF H 00321.
- JEDEC: Clariant Desiccant Bags, along with its Humitector™ Humidity Indicator Cards, meet the requirements for the dry packaging, dry packing, applications for semiconductors.
- Food & drugs: Clariant offers desiccant bags that meet relevant U.S. FDA specifications for use in food and drug applications.