- Edition Date :
- January 16, 2014
- Non-hygroscopic, insoluble in water and organic solvents
- Good hydrolysis resistance
- Suited as flame retardant for thermoplastics and thermosets
- High efficiency due to its high phosphorus content
- UL 94 V-0 rating down to 0.4 mm thickness
- Suited for processing temperatures up to ~ 330 °C
- Suitable for both glass fiber reinforced and unreinforced grades
- The flame retardant polyamide compounds exhibit very good physical and excellent electrical properties
- Suitable for lead free soldering
- Good colorability
- Non-halogenated flame retardant with favorable environmental and health profile
Safety and MSDSFurther safety data and handling information is available from our current Material Safety Data Sheet. For disposal in accordance with the regulations the product should be treated as special waste and taken to a suitable incineration plant.
Please contact us for safety and regulatory details or the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).
Characteristics Unit Target Value DS¹) TD²) Test Method Phosphorus %(w/w) 23.3 - 24.0
Photometry after oxidizing dissolution; (11/17) or wavelength dispersive X-ray fluorescence spectrometry; (11/23) Water / Moisture %(w/w) max. 0.2
Thermogravimetry; (11/03) Density g/cm³ 1.35
at 20 °C Bulk Density kg/m³ 400 - 600
Decomposition Temperature °C > 300
TGA Average Particle Size (D50) µm 20 - 40
¹) Delivery specification: The product is monitored on a regular basis to ensure that it adheres to the specified values. Test methods: Clariant method numbers 11/xx in brackets.
²) Technical data: The technical data are used solely to describe the product and are not subject to regular monitoring.
ApplicationsExolit OP 1230 is suited as flame retardant for thermoplastics and thermosets. Due to its high phosphorus content the product is distinguished by a high efficiency.
Exolit OP 1230 can even be applied in high temperature polyamides because of its high temperature stability. It is suitable for both glass fibre reinforced and unreinforced grades. The flame retardant polyamide compounds exhibit very good physical and electrical properties.
In high temperature polyamides of PA 6T/66 type, a dosage of approx. 15 % (by wt.) Exolit OP 1230 is usually sufficient to obtain the UL 94 V-0 classification for electrical compounds (at 1.6 as well as 0.8 mm thicknesses). Subjekt to the polymer grade, processing conditions and glass fibre reinforcement the dosage of the flame retardant may vary.
ProcessingBefore incorporating Exolit OP 1230, it is important to predry the polymer as usual. If possible, the resulting moisture content should be below 0.1 % (by wt.) for high temperature polyamides, 0.05 % (by wt.) for PBT and 0.005% for PET. Predrying of Exolit OP 1230 is not necessary. However, predrying (e. g. 4h at 120 °C) is recommended, if even very low moisture contents must be avoided.
Wear and corrosion protected materials are recommended for compounding and injection-molding of Exolit OP 1230 in reinforced polyesters, high temperature polyamides, or aromatic polyamides.
The mixing and processing methods customary in powder processing of polymers can be used with Exolit OP 1230.
The VDI Guideline 2263 “Prevention of dust fires and dust explosions” or the relevant national regulations must be observed. The optimum conditions for incorporating should be determined in each individual case. Care must be taken to ensure homogeneous dispersion of all components. The temperature of the polymer melt should not exceed 330 °C.
Packaging and HandlingDelivery form
Exolit OP 1230 is delivered in 20 kg paper bags with PE inliner or 500 kg big bags.
For regulatory details such as the classification and labelling as dangerous substances or goods please refer to our corresponding Material Safety Data Sheet. The product should be stored in a dry place at room temperature.
Minimum shelf life is 12 months from the date of shipping when stored according to the said conditions.
More InformationFor more details see our Innovation Spotlight video.
- Non hazardous, studies on life cycle data available.
- Saves lives and assets as a (halogen free) flame retardant. Supports the attainability of eco-lables for customer products.
- Phosphorus is on the EU list of critical raw materials but recycling is possible and actively investigated.
- Very efficient production process with high yield, minimized waste and low water consumption.
- Extensive work with customers along the value chain, optimizing material performance and evaluating life cycle aspects with stakeholders.
- Efficient at comparatively low loadings. Synergies with other halogen free flame retardants. High tracking resistance in E&E applications.