- Edition Date :
- April 05, 2013
- Suited for applications in hot and humid environments
- Outstanding thermal stability - widest processing window within Exolit OP product range for polyamides
- UL 94V-0 rating down to 0.4 mm thickness
- The flame retardant polyamide compounds exhibt very good physical and excellent electrical properties
- Low material density
- Good colorability
- Good contrast in laser marking
- Non-halogenated flame retardants with favourable environmental and health profile
Safety and MSDSFor regulatory details such as the classification and labelling as dangerous substances or goods please refer to our corresponding Material Safety Data Sheet. For disposal in accordance with the regulations the product should be treated as special waste and taken to a suitable incineration plant.
Please contact us for safety and regulatory details or the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).
Test method Phosphorus (w/w) 24.5-25.5 Photometry after oxidizing dissolution; (11/17) or wavelength dispersive X-ray fluorescence spectrometry; (11/23)
Moisture content (IR lamp) % (by wt.) max. 0.5 Karl-Fischer titration; (11/21) Decomposition temperature
°C 350 (DTA/TG 2% weight loss, air) Density at 20°C g/cm3 approx. 1.45 Bulk Density kg/m3 approx. 466 (DIN 53466)
ApplicationsExolit OP 1400 was developed especially for use in polyamides. It is suited for polyamide 6 and 66 as well as polyphthalamides and other high temperature polyamides, e.g. PA 46, for both glass-fiber-reinforced and unreinforced grades. The flame retarded polyamide compounds exhibit very good physical and electrical properties. Flame retarded polyamides with Exolit OP 1400 are suitable for applications also in hot and humid environment.
In glass-fiber-reinforced polyamide 6 or 6.6, a dosage of about 20 % (by wt.) of Exolit OP 1400 is usually sufficient to obtain the UL 94 V-0 classification for electrical components (at 1.6 mm as well as 0.8 mm and 0.4 mm thickness). In semi-aromatic polyamides the dosage can be reduced to approx. 15%. Subject to the polymer grade, processing conditions and glass- fibre reinforcement the dosage of the flame retardant may vary.
ProcessingBefore incorporating Exolit OP 1400, it is important to predry the polyamide as usual. If possible, the resulting moisture content should be below 0.1 % (by wt.). Predrying of Exolit OP 1400 is not necessary. However, predrying (e.g. 4 h at 120 °C) is recommended, if even very low moisture contents must be avoided.
The mixing and processing methods customary in powder processing of polymers can be used with Exolit OP 1400. The VDI Guideline 2263 Prevention of dust fires and dust explosions or the relevant national regulations must be observed.
The optimum conditions for incorporating should be determined in each individual case. Care must be taken to ensure homogeneous dispersion of all components. The temperature of the polymer melt should not exceed 340 °C.
Packaging and HandlingDelivery form
Exolit OP 1400 is delivered in 20 kg paper bags with PE inliner or 500 kg big bags.
The product should be stored in a dry place at room temperature. Opened containers should be tightly resealed after use.
EcoTain®Products that offer outstanding sustainability advantages are awarded Clariant’s EcoTain® label. EcoTain® products significantly exceed sustainability market standards, have best-in-class performance and contribute overall to sustainability efforts of the company and our customers. Find out more about: EcoTain®.PEOPLE
- Non hazardous, studies on life cycle data available
- Saves lives and assets as a (halogen free) flame retardant. Supports the attainability of eco-lables for customer products.
- Phosphorus is on the EU list of critical raw materials but recycling is possible and actively investigated.
- Very efficient production process with high yield, minimized waste and low water consumption.
- Extensive work with customers along the value chain, optimizing material performance and evaluating life cycle aspects with stakeholders.
- Optimized blend, efficient in polyamides at comparatively low loadings. Very good physical and excellent electrical properties of the flame retarded materials. Lower smoke toxicity in case of a fire.
More InformationFor more details see our Innovation Spotlight video.