Benefits of PFAS-free & PTFE-free solutions
Clariant’s PFAS-free additives offer equal performance to their PTFE-containing predecessors, with lower dosage levels. All tests have demonstrated that our PTFE-alternatives are a viable and safe replacement in printing on packaging, found in metal coatings and more.
With a differentiated biopolymer-based micronized wax, the same rub resistance performance is achievable with a dosage reduction of 30 % – 50 %, making our additives a highly cost-efficient PTFE-alternative. Other benefits are:
- High mechanical and temperature resistance
- Low Coefficient of Friction (COF)
- Compliant with current and actually foreseeable regulatory requirements
- Improved sustainability profile
- Improved cost-performance effectiveness
Make Packaging Coatings & Inks safe, sustainable and compliant with current and actually foreseeable regulatory requirements.
PFAS- & PTFE-Alternatives for printing and packaging inks
In the manufacture of industrial inks for printing and packaging, our PFAS-free and bio-based solutions Ceridust® and Licocene® have demonstrated equal, or in some cases improved, rub resistance, matting and gloss adjustment performance when compared to their predecessors. These improvements also offer a better sustainability and regulatory profile.
Choose Ceridust® and Licocene® to improve your printing and industrial inks.
- Ceridust 1041 – 100% renewable additive to lower the Coefficient of Friction (COF) and increase rub resistance
- Ceridust 1060 – 100% renewable additive with coarser particle size to lower the Coefficient of Friction (COF) and increase rub resistance
- Ceridust 3610 – very fine Polyethylene Wax for high rub resistance and low coefficient of friction
- Ceridust 3030 – fine Polyethylene Wax for high rub resistance and low Coefficient of Friction
- Ceridust 8330 – wax compound based on renewables for superior rub resistance
For oil, water and solvent based preparation we recommend
- Licocene RBW 101/Licocare RBW 102 – 100% renewable additive based on Rice Bran Wax (RBW)
- Licocene PE 4201 TERRA – Metallocene based Polyethylene wax with narrow molecular weight distribution
Shaping the future of PFAS- & PTFE-free printing on packaging and can coatings
On the shelf and in the factory, metal can coatings need to resist scratches and markings. Therefore, they were commonly coated with PTFE-based additives to increase mechanical resistance and prevent abrasion.
Clariant's solutions for eco-friendly can coatings offer a safe alternative to PTFE. Our wax additives are sourced from sustainable raw materials, and maintain the protection of cans.
Here you can find products for the most important properties:
- Ceridust 8330 - high mechanical resistance to abrasion and scratches
- Ceridust 1060 - slip adjustment to lower the Coefficient of Friction
- Ceridust 3610 - very fine Polyethylene Wax to improve scratch and mar resistance while keeping low COF
- Ceridust 9615 A - wax compound for low COF and high mar and scratch resistance
Clariant and NAPIM team up to drive transition towards sustainable
Listen to Ray Gonzales, Clariant’s Head of Marketing Coating & Adhesives, and George Fuchs, NAPIM’s Director Regulatory Affairs and Technology, to learn more about:
- How the push towards PTFE-free solutions impacts printers, manufacturers, ink suppliers, brand owners, and end customers.
- How innovative and better-performing alternatives of PTFE and PFAS are already available on the market, and how sustainability and high performance can go hand-in-hand thanks to collaborative efforts across the value chain.
- How Clariant proactively develops replacements for PTFE that reduce the health and environmental risks, while maintaining and improving efficiency.
Tune in and learn more about complex challenges and collaborative efforts that push the printing inks industry forward.
Elevating printing sustainability: navigating beyond PTFE inks
Printing is as important today as it has ever been and it’s a segment that is changing fast. Sustainability challenges are driving the demand for polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)-free additives as consumers increasingly look for environmentally friendly alternatives. Regulations globally are also targeting PTFE and its PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) counterparts, meaning now is the time join the sustainable printing journey.
ECOTAIN® - Our approach to sustainabilityEcotain® is Clariant's label for sustainability excellence and solution showcasing best-in-class performance. Each product and solution carrying the EcoTain® label has undergone a systematic, in-depth screening process using 39 criteria in all three pillars of sustainability: people, planet and performance. All Licocare® RBW Vita solutions are excelled with our EcoTain label.
Ceridust, Licocene and Licocare portfolio - product and sustainability data sheets & samples
CERIDUST® 1041 VITA
Ceridust® 1041 Vita is a very effective additive to lower the Coefficient of Friction (COF) and increase rub resistance in printing inks
CERIDUST® 1060 VITA
Ceridust® 1060 Vita is a very effective additive with coarser particle size to lower the Coefficient of Friction (COF) in printing inks as well as in metal coatings and increase rub resistance in printing inks. It also enables an excellent pigment or filler dispersion in powder coating applications.
CERIDUST® 3030 TP
Ceridust 3030 TP is suitable for all kinds of printing inks and is especially recommended for pasty or solvent based systems.
Ceridust 3610 is a finely micronized additive made from metallocene based high density polyethylene wax.
Ceridust 3620 is an excellent rub and scratch resistance additive for all kind of printing inks.
Ceridust 8330 is a revolutionary, predominantly bio-based additive for all kind of printing inks and metal packaging coatings with a mean particle size diameter of approximately 5.5 μm.
LICOCARE® RBW 101 VITA
Licocare® RBW 101 Vita is a polar modified wax based on rice bran wax for coatings, inks, plastics, agricultural and polish & care applications.
LICOCARE® RBW 102 VITA
Licocare® RBW 102 Vita is a low oxidized wax based on rice bran for coatings, inks, plastics, agriculture and care applications.
LICOCENE® PE 4201 TERRA
Licocene PE 4201 granules TERRA REDcert is a non-polar, low viscous polyethylene wax made from mass-balanced certified renewable ethylene.